Search This Blog

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Buster's NBA Playoff Second Round Matchups and Predictions



The first round went pretty much as expected with the exception of two games. But who really thought that Golden State would come back on Denver, and that Blake Griffin and the Clippers would be out coached and not physical enough. The first round is all about craziness. Now that things are a little more serious, lets see how I can do on the second round predictions. Lets start with the East and save the conference everyone really cares about for last.

Eastern Conference:

#1 Miami vs. #5 Chicago
Being rested up and 100% is one of the most important parts of being successful in the playoffs. Miami is well rested after the sweep of the Bucks. Chicago however, will be winded considering they just closed out a seven game series against Brooklyn yesterday. This series may be more about the return of Derrick Rose, rather than how this series actually plays out. Even with the return of D Rose, the Bulls cannot hang with the Heat for seven games. Rose will not be in game shape, nor is he likely to be feeling 100% if he does get a few minutes here and there in this series. Chicago will give Miami all they want, but in the long run they are no match for the defense and explosive offense of Miami. Miami wins this series 4-2.

#2 New York vs. #3 Indiana
This series is the one to watch for this second round if you ask me. I strongly believe the winner of this series will beat Miami. Indiana was an outstanding team last year who barely lost to the Heat in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. They are eager to make it past this round of the tournament, and I think they will do so. As my buddy CMan mentioned Carmelo Anthony is having shoulder problems, and with JR Smith you never know what you are gonna get. One night he comes off the bench and shoots 50% for 19 points and the next he is shooting 21%. This is a series that very well could be finished in just five games. But having the scoring champion and the sixth man of the year will buy the Knicks two, maybe three games. The Pacers win this series 4-3

Western Conference:
#1 Oklahoma City vs. #5 Memphis
I have been dreading writing about this series ever since I found out we would be playing the Grizzlies. It is gonna come down to who I think will win this series, and who I want to win this series. Everything in me wants me to pick the Thunder to win this series, but Memphis is just too quick and physical on the inside. Without the offensive explosiveness of Russell Westbrook I think the Thunder will struggle to score against Tony Allen and the defensive player of the year Marc Gasol. Can the Thunder win this series? Absolutely, and I will be pulling for them as hard as I possibly can. Reggie Jackson will need to continue his play, while Nick Collison gets more minutes off the bench. Kevin Martin is going to have to step up like he did in game 6 against Houston, and Kendrick Perkins is going to have to shut down Zach Randolph on the defensive side of the ball. This series could go either way, but I think the Grizzlies win 4-3.(I hope I am wrong!)

#2 San Antonio vs. #6 Golden State
This is really going to be a fun series to watch! The slow and fundamental play of the Spurs, against the fast pace offense of the Warriors. I think that Golden State will win this series if they play their best possible basketball (I know, I know, I picked two upsets in the West). The question will be if they can play their best possible basketball and shut down Tim Duncan and Tony Parker. Golden State averaged more points than anyone in the playoffs last round with 107.2 points per game. I really do not think that the Spurs can slow them down, or put up the amount of points that Golden State will. Again I am picking a seven game series, Golden State wins 4-3.

There it is, my second round predictions! Make sure you give us a follow on the top right side of the blog so you never miss any of the action! Keep checking in throughout the second round to see how we did on our predictions!

No comments: