Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Buster's Second Round Recap


The second round of the NBA playoffs have officially ended. Some people are very happy with the results, others (us Thunder fans) are not! Two out of the four series ended in upsets, although many people predicted them to happen. Take a look at how the second round went.

Eastern Conference:
#1 Miami vs. #5 Chicago (Heat in 5)

Miami handled this series just as everyone thought. I personally thought the series would go to seven. After Chicago stumped Miami in the first game I thought maybe the world was wrong. Miami came out agressive and focused for the next four games. Miami has now won four straight games twice in two years. They won four in a row last year after losing to the Thunder in game 1 of the Finals, and four games in a row this year after losing game 1 to the Bulls. They may have the best player in the world on their team (and every NBA official) but this will be their last series to win this season. The Heat averaged 97.4 points per game in this series.

#2 New York vs. #3 Indiana (Pacers in 6)

I love it when I am right! Indiana took a quick 3-1 lead in this series that looked as if they weren't gonna lose another game. Carmelo Anthony and JR Smith were no match for George Hill and David West as they won this series in game six. I again predicted this series to go to game 7, but I am completely happy with the outcome of this series. The Pacers are a team that could have beaten Miami at this time last year, but lost due to their inexperience and the lack of a solid big man. This team now has both, and with David West joining the roster they are ready to take on the defending champions. The Pacers averaged a low 89.5 points per game in this series.

I went a solid 2-0 in the East! Now lets take a look at how I did in the West...

Western Conference:
#1 Oklahoma City vs. #5 Memphis (Grizzles in 5)

This is one of those ones where I was right, but I am very sad that I predicted it right. I did pick them to beat the Thunder in game 7, but Memphis only needed five to send us on vacation. I am okay with losing to the Grizzlies. They will be in the Finals, and have the best chance of bringing a title home to the West. With the loss of Russell Westbrook and the poor play of all of our big men (not just Kendrick Perkins) we stood no chance against Mike Conley and the big men Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. They were way to physical for us inside and on the defensive side of the ball. Say what you want, but the Thunder got straight up out played and out hustled. The Grizzlies averaged 93.6 points per game in this series.

#2 San Antonio vs. #6 Golden State (Spurs in 6)
This was the only series that I did not pick correctly. Golden State gave the Spurs all they wanted and more. No doubt in my mind that if David Lee is healthy and playing that the Warriors win this series or at least send it to game 7. San Antonio slipped through this series do to their excellent shooting and experience. The big question is, can they keep this going now that they are tired? I'm not completely sure they can, but I am terrified to doubt them. When you have the best power forward of all time and the most points scored in the playoffs by a point guard on your team it is hard to pick against them. The Spurs averaged the most points in the second round with 102 per game!

I went 1-1 in the West, leaving my total at three out of four. CMan beat me again this round, but I will see if I can get him in the Conference Finals!

No comments: